Are Roses Toxic to Dogs

icon June 13, 2024

When it comes to dogs and roses, pet owners often wonder if these beautiful flowers are safe for their furry friends. Here, this article will walk you through the mystery between romantic roses and your furry dogs.

Are Roses Toxic to Dogs?

Roses themselves are not toxic to dogs. The rose plant, including its petals, leaves, and stems, is generally considered non-toxic. This makes roses a safer choice for households with pets compared to many other plants that can pose a risk of poisoning.

While the plant is non-toxic, it is essential to consider the overall health of the dog. Eating any foreign material, including rose parts, can sometimes cause mild gastrointestinal upset. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal discomfort, but these are typically short-lived and resolve without the need for medical intervention.

Are Roses Toxic to Dogs

♣ Following and learning more about the possible risks of rose consumption in dogs:

Can Dogs Eat Rose Petals?

Generally, rose petals are not toxic to dogs. They are considered safe in small amounts and pose no significant health risks. However, moderation is key, as consuming large quantities of any plant material can potentially lead to digestive upset.

Rose petals contain small amounts of natural compounds that give them their color and fragrance, but these compounds are not harmful to dogs. Some pet owners even use rose petals as a decorative element in dog-friendly gardens, knowing they won't harm their pets. However, it is crucial to ensure that the roses have not been treated with pesticides or chemicals, which could be harmful if ingested.

Are Rose Leaves Toxic to Dogs?

Dogs can chew on or ingest rose leaves without experiencing significant health issues. However, as with any plant material, consuming large quantities can cause digestive disturbances. 

The primary concern with rose leaves, as with other parts of the plant, is the potential for pesticides or other chemicals to be present. It is important to ensure that any roses accessible to dogs are free from harmful chemicals. Additionally, while rose leaves are not harmful, they do not provide any nutritional benefit and are not recommended as a regular part of a dog's diet.

Are Rose Stems Toxic to Dogs?

Rose stems are not toxic to dogs, but they present other risks that pet owners should be aware of. The stems of rose plants are often covered in thorns, which can cause physical injury. If a dog chews on or swallows rose stems, there is a risk of punctures to the mouth, throat, or digestive tract, which can lead to infections or other serious complications.

While the stem itself is not harmful, the mechanical injury from thorns is a significant concern. If a dog shows interest in rose stems, it's best to prevent access to them to avoid accidental injuries. If a dog does ingest a thorny stem, monitoring for signs of discomfort or injury, such as pawing at the mouth, drooling, or reluctance to eat, is essential. In such cases, consulting a veterinarian is advisable.

Is Rose Essential Oil Safe for Dogs?

The use of essential oils in pet care is a topic of considerable debate. Rose essential oil, known for its pleasant aroma and potential therapeutic benefits, is one such oil that pet owners might consider using around their dogs. However, it's important to exercise caution with essential oils.

Rose essential oil is not inherently toxic to dogs, but it must be used correctly to avoid potential harm. Essential oils are highly concentrated extracts and can cause adverse reactions if not used properly. Direct application to the skin or ingestion can lead to toxicity.

Symptoms of essential oil poisoning in dogs include:




difficulty breathing

If you choose to use rose essential oil, it should always be diluted with a carrier oil and used in moderation. Diffusing rose essential oil in an area where your dog can leave if they find the scent overwhelming is a safer approach. Always monitor your dog for any signs of distress when introducing any new essential oil into their environment.

What Happens if a Dog Eats Roses?

When a dog eats parts of a rose plant, the outcome largely depends on which parts of the plant were consumed and in what quantity. Here are potential scenarios:

1. Eating Rose Petals:
Generally safe, but could cause mild gastrointestinal upset if consumed in large amounts. Monitoring for vomiting or diarrhea is advised.

2. Eating Rose Leaves:
Non-toxic, but similar to petals, consuming large quantities can lead to digestive issues. Ensure leaves are free of pesticides.

3. Eating Rose Stems:
The most significant risk due to thorns. Ingesting stems can cause physical injuries to the mouth, throat, or digestive tract. Watch for signs of injury or distress.

4. Exposure to Rose Essential Oil:
Risky if ingested or applied directly to the skin. Symptoms of essential oil poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and respiratory issues. Always use essential oils in a diluted form and with caution.

Rose Enrichment for Dogs

You can use roses for your dogs in various ways, ensuring they are safe and beneficial:

1. Garnish for Meals:
Add a few fresh, pesticide-free rose petals to your dog's food for a fragrant and appealing garnish.

2. Homemade Treats:
Incorporate rose petals into homemade dog treats for a unique flavor.

3. Herbal Tea:
Brew a mild rose petal tea and add a small amount to your dog's water for a refreshing change.

4. Skin and Coat Care:
Use diluted rose essential oil in a dog-safe shampoo to soothe the skin and enhance the coat's scent.

5. Calming Spray:
Create a calming spray by mixing rose water with water and lightly misting your dog’s bedding.

However, please always ensure roses are pesticide-free and consult your veterinarian before introducing any new elements to your dog’s care routine.


In conclusion, roses are not toxic to dogs, and most parts of the plant, including petals and leaves, can be consumed without significant risk. However, caution is necessary to avoid potential physical injuries from thorns and the risks associated with chemical treatments on the plants. Rose essential oil, while not inherently toxic, should be used with care to prevent adverse reactions. 

Click Puainta To Learn More about Dogs

Leave A Comment
All comments are moderated before being published.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Join The Puainta

Become one of pet parents and get professional tips, immediate product info, updated promotions and discounts, and more surprises from us!